1800 229 142

Electrical Shocks and Tingles

Electrical Shocks and Tingles

Electrical shocks or tingles are the warning signs that something may be wrong with the electrical wiring of your home and could cause serious harm. Electric shock and tingles can be experienced when there is something wrong with the internal wiring in your home. Also, a network fault where power lines meet your property can be the reason for these electric shocks. If you experience electric shocks or tingles from an appliance, water pipe, or power points, it’s important to report the issue before it causes severe harm.        

We’ve often heard of people dying of electric shocks from touching taps or appliances giving electric shocks. A tingle or shock from a tap can occur anytime due to a fault in your electrical system and can lead to a life-threatening situation in no time.

Most likely, you have an issue with the network connection or wiring in your property. You will need to source and hire a qualified Sydney electrician to inspect and resolve the issue before the damage spreads. If you are renting, your landlord is often the one responsible. So, it’s important for you to notify them so that they can arrange for an electrician to carry out the job as quickly as possible.

Why do we experience electrical shocks or tingles within the home?

We use electricity in our homes for utility and entertainment, but it can put our lives at risk with electrical shocks. Electricity is dangerous and can be unpredictable. It is said that over 30,000 non-fatal accidents happen every year due to electrical shock worldwide. But what causes such situations to occur? When a switch is faulty or malfunctioning, electrical shock can occur as outlets and switches receive electrical current through a box. If a screw or wiring is loose, the electricity becomes unstable. Frayed wiring or cracked casing can give less resistance and a bad path for electricity leading to shocks. Outdated outlets can also increase the chances of shock. An appliance having damaged circuitry, broken cords, it’s more likely to become unstable. If electricity touches water, it can become a dangerous combination putting many lives at risk. A submerged source of electricity can lead to an electrical shock. Also, it’s important to keep electricity cautions in mind so that you can avoid the risk of electrical shock as much as possible.

I’ve been shocked! Now What?

Before you make a conclusion, there are some questions you need to ask yourself. Do you experience the same sensation the whole time, or you just got a little shock on the first touch? Did you get a shock when water is running? Is it happening in various places around your house? The first and foremost thing to do is to inspect if you’re experiencing a simple static shock or is something seriously wrong with your electrical system. It’s essential to take these electrical shocks and tingles seriously as they can put your safety at great risk. Let’s take a look at the steps you can follow to ensure that the issue gets resolved before the damage spreads.

If you felt a shock or tingle, it’s recommended not to touch an appliance or a location of the shock again until a qualified Sydney electrician confirms that your property is safe for you and your family. If it’s a static shock, it might not be as serious as it looks. If you are feeling burnt or shock in multiple areas or experiencing other electrical phenomena like flickering lights, call a professional immediately. It’s also recommended to seek medical advice if you have had a shock to make sure that there are no serious injuries to the person who experienced the shock. If you call Service Heroes to help you get away with the situation, our team will visit you and inspect the wiring in your property and determine the cause of shock and electrical system issues. Depending on the cause, we will try our best and get your issue resolved as quickly as possible. If your neighbours happen to experience the same issues, there might be a problem with the transformer or connection outside your home that requires trained technicians to fix the issue. You can find out an emergency number on the bottom of your electricity bill.

When it comes to experiencing shocks, you should consider following these steps:

The first and foremost thing is to never ignore such situations as electrical shocks in multiple locations can be a sign that there is something wrong with the electrical system of your home.

If you’re unfortunate to have someone be electrocuted, call 000 first and never touch them while there is still power through your home. Heck for danger and switch off the power before you touch them and remove the patient before directly touching them.

If you need any further assistance with your electrical system, feel free to contact us.